Easement Acquisition for Development
Easement Acquisition (if/when necessary for projects)
On some occasions, in order for local developers to gain access to the water/sewerage system for their respective developments, they must account for the necessary access of easements.
Water and Sanitary Sewer Easement Information (click here to download or view the information sheet)
Easements and Deeded Property
- Appurtenances of water distribution systems and sanitary sewer systems, to be owned by the HCWA, are often located within streetsâ€™ rights-of-way.
- The following water distribution system and sanitary sewer system appurtenances to be owned by the HCWA, shall be situated within an easement to be granted to the HCWA, when a public street right-of-way is not available.
- Water main
- Water meter/check valve assembly
- Fire hydrant
- Sewer main
- Force main
- Sewer outfall
- Lift station/Pump station site area
- Access road
- Other appurtenances required by the HCWA
- An easement shall not encroach into a structureâ€™s foundation.
- "On-site" easements are those easements falling within the boundaries of the current phase of the development that are shown on the plat and are recorded through the process of recording the Deed of Conveyance and final plat.
- Developer shall grant to the HCWA, the exclusive right to construct, re-construct, operate, maintain, repair, replace, improve, alter, remove, relocate and inspect water distribution systems and/or sanitary sewer systems that are situated over, across and under the land wherein the water distribution systems and/or sanitary sewer systems lie on the Developerâ€™s property.
- "Off-site" easements are those easements falling outside the boundaries of the current phase of the development and must be provided and recorded by theDeveloper on an HCWA easement document for each property owner. Plans must be submitted and approved along with an easement plat before the Developer obtains an easement from a property owner.
- Easements through property owned by the developer, including water and sewer lines that will be included in later phases of the same project, must be treated as routine off-site easements.
- Off-site easements shall be negotiated and acquired by the Developer with the property owner.
- Construction of the off-site water distribution systems and/or sanitary sewer systems shall not begin until all off-site easements for system completion are approved, acquired, recorded and received by HCWA.
- The minimum width of a permanent on-site/off-site easement associated with water distribution system appurtenances shall be 10-feet. Sanitary sewer system appurtenances shall be 20-feet.
- The minimum size of an easement or property associated with a lift station shall be no less than 100-feet by 100-feet.
- Water meter/check valve vaults shall be 10 feet outside the structure.
- Easement width or size may be increased or decreased at the discretion of the HCWA Engineer.
If you have any questions regarding this information click here to contact the Engineering Division via e-mail or call 770-914-3688 between the hours of 8:00AM â€“ 5:00PM.